Antonelli San Marco
2005 Sagrantino di Montefalco
- Final Assessment
- Act quickly, dear Operative, this exceptional 2005 Antonelli San Marco Sagrantino di Montefalco is in very short supply and it will sell out, today. If you love classic, dry, bright Italian wines, you will love this delicious Umbrian treat. Firm, fine grained tannins give the wine a very classic feel, while bright red fruits and flinty minerals make the palate come alive. Aromatically wonderful, this wine had our tasting panel taking deep inhalations, long before even raising glass to lips. Pair this food-friendly wine with a fine Italian meal. We recommend a really cheesy meat lasagne!
Darkest ruby red, with a slightly darker heart. At the edge, a ring of soft pink encircles the wine. After a hearty swirl, tall, skinny legs take a moment to emerge - before the rocket down the glass wall.
Dark, spiced cherry candy, sweet Bing cherry, raspberry, and sweet cedar are layered over toasty oak, sweet dark chocolate, sweet brown spice, dried rose petals, red licorice, dusty bramble and a hint of savory herbs.
Tart cherry and dried cranberry meld with underripe blackberry, wild young strawberry, dried red rose petal, dusty earth, dried violets, soft cedar, darkly toasted oak and European licorice.
Long and dry, with bright red fruits gradually fading, until more earthen flavors are revealed. At the very end, the flavor of flint and cedar persist, long after the fruits have completely faded.
What the Winery Says
- Grape variety
- 100% Sagrantino
- First vintage
- Yield per hectare
- 40 hL per hectare / 1.4 kg grapes per plant.
- Grapes are handpicked in the second week of October. There is a final selection in the cellar.
- By gravity. Fermentation in contact with the skins for 15-20 days at 25°C. Malolactic fermentation takes place. The wine clarifies spontaneously with no need for filtration.
- Initially in lightly toasted 500 L oak barrels for 6 months, then in 25 hL oak barrels for 12 months. Assemblage and clarification occurs in cement vats for 3 months. Bottle ageing for 12 months.
- Tasting notes
- Deep ruby red in colour with garnet hues. Rich and powerful nose with ethereal and complex notes featuring elegant fruit with blackberry and plums backed up with sweet wood. In the mouth it is replete with red fruit and final tannins.
- Grilled and roast meats, stewed red meats (beef, lamb), game (wild boar, guinea fowl, pigeon) and mature hard cheeses.
- Serving temperature
- 18° C.
About the Winery
Antonelli San Marco is a wine and farming estate which extends over an entire 170 hectares located centrally within Montefalco’s DOCG winemaking area. With a background rich in history, the Antonelli family is passionately committed to caring for their territory and attentive to the quality of their products.
For years Antonelli San Marco relies on research and constantly aims to improve the quality of their wines. The estate style is geared towards authenticity and harmony, drinkability and elegance rather than blunt power. It leans towards gentle extraction and moderate use of wood ageing.