Hand Of God Wines
2010 Old Vine Malbec
Malbec •Stolen Horse Vineyard
Smoke on the water
We are absolutely crazy about this rich and delicious wine. From first opening to the final sip, this 2010 Hand of God Old Vine Malbec is a total delight.
Rich, deep purple hues cling to the glass wall when swirling. Aromas, a little shy at first, become exuberant as the wine opens up. On the palate, rich layers of dark fruit provide plenty of intrigue.
The more this wine is swirled, the more joy it brings - until you run out. Which is why we recommend that you stock up on this incredible Malbec!
Winemaker Santiago Achával is one of the hottest, most award-winning and most revered winemakers in the world. Here are a few of his accomplishments:
Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Wines of 2012 named his wine Top 10 in the world.
Robert Parker rated seven of Santiago’s wines with the lowest score a 96, and several at 98 & 99 points. Wine Advocate rated his wines 95 or higher no fewer than 18 times.
Since 2005, Santiago’s wines have appeared on Wine Spectator’s Top 100 wines of the world list, five times.
Decanter rated his Malbec #1 out of 255 wines.
Wine & Spirits named Santiago’s winery property “Winery of the Year” based on blind tastings of more than 9,000 wines globally.
Dark and foreboding, with deep purple hues from the slightly opaque heart to the pretty garnet edges.
Fruity and lush with layer upon layer of exotic aromas. Smoky blueberry, sandalwood, rich blackberry, lumber yard, black currant, black tea, salt soaked cedar plank and hints of subtle white pepper and fenugreek.
Delicious and rich with flavors that almost perfectly mimic the nose. Stewed fruit, mixed berry compote and soft minerals round out the palate.
Very flavorful and very long. As the primary flavors fade, integrated tannin gives the wine just the right amount of oomph.
Espresso-encrusted pork loin with a plum sauce would be a fantastic companion for this big and elegant wine.
What the Winery Says
2010 Old Vine Malbec
Standing in this vineyard first planted nearly 100 years ago, watching the horses till the soil just as they have for a century, it’s easy to understand this Malbec’s magnificent terroir expression. Intense, fresh red and black fruits combine with linear minerality, bright acidity and silky tannins to produce a powerful, elegant and sultry seduction in a glass.
- The Wine Advocate - Neal Martin
- The 2010 Stolen Horse Old Vine Malbec is from the five hectare “Stolen Horse Vineyard” populated by vines planted in the 1920s…Raised entirely in new oak, it has an intense, heady bouquet with blackberry, peppermint, a touch of sous-bois and a slight fug of alcohol. The palate is full-bodied with layers of ripe black, tarry fruit. It is well balanced and very harmonious. What could be overpowering is extremely refined and well balanced towards the decadent finish…
- Vineyard Designation
- Stolen Horse Vineyard
- 20 months in 100% new French oak
- Wine Advocate
- 92 Points
About the Winery
HAND OF GOD IS…
- One of the best winemakers in the world, a ‘Master of Malbec’, partnered with a venture capitalist visionary whose experience in high tech and social media startups generates incredible wines presented with unconventional style through unorthodox channels. Collaboration extends to our staff, field hands, philanthropies, friends, and most importantly, our customers.
- We’ve taken the best, most efficient winemaking approaches from both the new and old worlds, at times resulting in the simplest technological solutions to complex processes. We push the boundaries in the way our consumers experience our wine. We produce unusual Argentine blends and Malbec from some truly old vines that are super-focused, powerful and well-cared for. We still plow our soil by horse even though tractors can do it faster and we hand pick our grapes rather than use a machine. We are seriously passionate about the craftsmanship of our wine.
- We’re conscientious of every element of our wine and know that to create the best results, the winemaking process has to be accomplished thoughtfully and locally at every step. From choosing the vineyard sites to creating the final blend, we have chosen the best Mendoza has to offer. We’re also our own producer and importer.
- Our vineyards, wines and winemaker are natives of Argentina. It is a country full of passion, mystique, natural wonders and great traditions. It is iconic: gauchos, street art, tangos, Evita, the Andes Mountains, asados, and extraordinary wine. Let us share this world that you may have not yet experienced, through our wines and our collaboration of experiences and stories yet untold.