2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
California: Lake County
Today’s very highly recommended wine is a wonderful gem that we are so pleased to share with you. The hit of our recent tasting panel, this wine is a bold, but balanced treat that gets better and better with each swirl and sip.
Right out of the bottle, the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon is big and bold. As it breathes it begins to relax in the glass, gradually softening and revealing an elegance and beauty that was initially hidden. Decant this lovely wine or simply swirl and swirl, bearing witness all the while to an unravelling of elegant flavors and heady aromas.
If you love expressive Cabernet Sauvignon, we hope that you’ll take home at least a case of this rare and delectable treat. We’ll be enjoying a few bottles now, and savoring the rest over the next decade.
Dark and inky with deepest crimson at the heart of the wine and brilliant garnet at the edge.
Dense and lush and somewhat port-like with sweet black cherry. At the tail end, a hint of subtle sage and dusty chocolate.
Dark and dense, with dark flavors of braised plum, dried black cherry, dried cranberry and black currant. Chalky minerals and dusty bramble follow on.
Bold tannins quickly dry the palate, drawing the sweeter fruit flavors away from the center of the palate and leaving behind a mineral-rich dryness that causes the mouth to water.
This big wine wants to play with a big red meat dish or strong cheeses. For a real treat - and something of a departure from the norm - we’re going with a cocoa nib and fennel encrusted pork tenderloin.
What the Winery Says
- 2009 CABERNET SAUVIGNON
- For this special project we set aside just six barrels or our 2009 biodynamic estate Cabernet Sauvignon. We blended it with a splash of our biodynamic estate Petit Verdot. The result - a delicious wine of complexity, deeply scented and balanced to compliment your favorite meal - or just to enjoy on its own! This is a Boies family favorite.
Only 150 cases produced.
- Lake County, Red Hills AVA, California.
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vineyard Notes
- Grown on our mountain estate vineyard at elevations of up to 2,200 feet. Red rocky, volcanic soil farmed using Organic and Demeter Biodynamic farming methods.
- Vintage Notes
- 2009 was a beautiful year for growing fruit on our mountain estate. The intense heat of the day was balanced by cool evenings and nights giving the fruit complexity. Harvest was September 28th.
- Winery Note
- We are careful to harvest at the optimal ripeness. We want a perfect balance of acid and sugar because this enables us to use minimal intervention in the cellar. This creates a wine of authenticity – a wine that speaks of the rich, red, volcanic soils of our high elevation vineyard. Matching the intensity of the fruit, we aged this wine in 100% French oak barrels for 24 months. The unusual blend of 95% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot give this wine elegance and sophistication.
Tasting Notes: Bright ruby red in the glass with heady aromas of wild roses, earth and cocoa. Black fruit, cedar and subtle herb notes delight the palate. Finishes with long sultry tannins. We love this wine with simple grilled rib eyes – seasoned minimally with course sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Technical Notes
- 95% Cabernet Sauvignon 5% Petit Verdot
- 24 months in French oak
- 150 cases