Foyt Family Wines
2009 No. 77 Cabernet Sauvignon Mount Veeder
California: Mount Veeder (Napa)
Who knew that race car driver A.J. Foyt could craft such a remarkable wine? This incredible and very highly recommended Cabernet Sauvignon hits all the right notes. It is a true Cabernet lover’s wine.
Beautifully aromatic on the nose, with layer upon layer of fruit, spice and earth that waft from the glass. On the palate, the flavors echo the nose almost perfectly. As you enjoy this wine, flavors accumulate in the mouth, seemingly increasing with each lush sip.
Decant, and the wine really springs to life, bringing lift to the fruit and adding elegance on the palate. Especially on the long and lingering finish.
There aren’t many cases of this wine left, so please be sure to order early. And stock up!
Winner, Double Gold Medal, 2013 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
Deep and slightly inky, with dark garnet hues at the heart and ruby red at the glass wall.
Perfectly integrated, with layers of superb, lush aromas led by stewed berry fruit, plum, black cherry, cassis and fresh blackberry. Aromas of leather, sweet spice and twigs follow on.
Powerful and delicious with layer upon layer of fruit. Blackberry, blueberry, black cherry, plum and a hint of nutmeg lead to dried violets, cassis and dark bramble.
Long, lingering and mouth-watering, with concentrated berry fruit and dark spice that seem to go on forever.
Roasted leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary or a juicy steak would be a delightful accompaniment to this rich and delicious wine.
What the Winery Says
Foyt #77 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
- The Foyt #77 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon won the prestigious Double Gold Medal at the 2013 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, which is the largest competition of American Wines in the World and is recognized for its participation by the most distinguished judges in the country. More than 60 judges, including winemakers, sommeliers, wine educators, bloggers, and members of the media, evaluated more than 5000 wine entries.
- Blackberry, dark cherry, cassis and licorice aromatics.
- The surrounding woodlands of Redwood, Manzanita, Madrone as well as white and black Oak trees influence the flavors of blackberry, cherry and even a touch of blueberry
- A mountain-grown Cabernet calls for serious protein, like a bone-in rib roast, to help tame the wine’s naturally powerful tannins. This Cab will also pair well with steaks, lamb chops, venison and bacon cheddar hamburgers. For a treat, taste this wine while enjoying fine chocolate.
- Mt. Veeder, Napa, California
- Harvest Date
- September 28,2009
- Bottle Date
- November 6, 2012
- Release Date
- December, 2012
- 160 cases
About the Winery
A.J. Foyt is an icon in motorsports. He is the all-time winner of Indy car races and titles, first four-time winner of the Indianapolis 500, and the only man to win the Indianapolis 500, the 24 Hours of LeMans and the Daytona 500 auto races. However, when asked about what is most important to him, he always replies, “My family.”
His son Larry and grandson A.J. Foyt IV created the Foyt Family Wines label to pay tribute to the family patriarch as they launched their first business venture together. It was born out of their passion for fine wine, but before wine it was racing that ignited their fire. Larry Foyt began his professional driving career after graduating from Texas Christian University. His focus was NASCAR where he competed in all three national series, including the Daytona 500. He also raced in the Indianapolis 500 for Indy cars, making him one of the few drivers to compete in America’s two most prestigious races.
A.J. Foyt IV began his pro career driving for his legendary grandfather in the Indianapolis 500 on his 19th birthday, making him the youngest driver to ever start in that world class event. He continues to drive in the IndyCar Series which is where he has made his name and his home. While A.J. set the standard in motorsports, his progeny is setting a new standard in racing personality labeled wines. They know that when their family and friends gather at A.J.’s Houston home over the holidays, their wine will be enjoyed – and admired – for its quality and attention to detail. In the Foyt Family, it’s about excellence, a standard embodied by the father and one that his son and grandson continue to pursue.