- 2007 Toscana Red Super Tuscan IGT
- Toscana IGT
- 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot
- Vinification and Refinement
- This fine wine is made primarily from choice Sangiovese grapes grown in selected Tuscan
vineyards having sandy, clay-like, and calcareous soil. Following the age-old traditional
vinification method, fully mature grapes are harvested from the vineyards and crushed almost
immediately. The grapes are then poured into large inox tanks for fermentation. The primary
fermentation evolves at a controlled temperature of 80-82 D F until the process is complete. The
wine is then filtered and stored at a constant temperature in oak casks and small barriques for a
minimum of 12 months in order to obtain warm tone and color ripe.
- Color - Bright ruby red
Bouquet - Oak and fruit; gentle and harmonious
Flavor - Cherry and plum; fruity with oak finish
- Food Pairings
- Ideal with all Mediterranean dishes, beef roast, game, and spicy cheese. Serve at room temperature.
- Point of interest
- Super Tuscan is an unofficial category of Tuscan wines, the origin of which is rooted in the
restrictive DOC practices of the Chianti zone prior to the 199os. Although now modified, the
regulations at that time required Chianti to be composed of no more than 70% Sangiovese and at least 10% of a local white wine grape, resulting in a wine perceived by some to be inferior.
Unwilling to concede to these regulations, in 1971 the Marchese Piero Antinori created a
“Chianti-style” Sangiovese-Cabernet blend, resulting in the birth of the Super Tuscan.