Planted in 1996, Rosella’s Vineyard has a Maritime climate with strong coastal winds blown in from Monterey Bay. The vineyard is named for Gary’s wife, Rosella Franscioni.

The 2016 vintage offered excellent growing conditions. A mild winter and spring compounded with gentle rainfall contributed to early ripening, low to moderate yields and highly concentrated grapes resulting in exceptional quality. For fermentation, 70% of the fruit was destemmed and moved by gravity to open-top bins. The remaining 30% was left whole-cluster. The tank was chilled to 50F for a nice long cold soak to increase enzymatic extraction then allowed to warm on its own. The fermentation was indigenous, as was malolactic. The tank was pressed off just before dryness to preserve fruit and minimize harsh alcoholic extraction, the wine was transferred immediately to barrel without settling for added lees contact during elevage. The wine was left to age for 16 months in barrel.

Deep ruby red in color, the bouquet opens with Huckleberry jam and black cherry followed with charcuterie and Asian spice. This pinot boasts incredibly concentrated red and dark fruit that lingers, silky-textured on the palate. A wine capable of long term aging, every sip offers new nuance.