2010 Coriol Sonoma Valley White Wine
White Blend •Landa Vineyard and Snow Vineyard
California: Sonoma Valley
Like the wind
An unusual blend of 35% Grenache Blanc, 29% Roussanne, 20% Marsanne, and 16% Picpoul Blanc, today’s Anaba Wines 2010 Coriol Sonoma Valley White Wine is… deeee-licious!
Picpoul Blanc is a rare and lesser known Rhône varietal that is one of the thirteen grape varietals that is permitted in Châteauneuf du Pape, where it gives acidity and lift to the wine. It is this esoteric grape that makes this wine such an exceptional food wine.
This delightfully bright and flavorful wine can be enjoyed with a wide variety of fare - especially something rich or fatty.
Don’t miss out on this wonderful find from our newest winery addition!
Pale golden straw color, with a even coloration from core to edge.
Light lemongrass, subtle white peach, pineapple, lime leaf and a hint of chalky soil.
Bright fruit and earthy minerals, with flavors of white peach, pineapple, lemon rind, lemongrass and a hint of underripe pear.
Medium long, bright and gently spritsy with lingering flavors of lime leaf, lemon peel and slate.
Enjoy this bright wine with something fatty: scallops and asparagus in a rich and creamy sauce, or a roast duck breast.
What the Winery Says
2010 Coriol White, Sonoma Valley
- VINEYARD AND WINEMAKING NOTES
- Our Coriol White is a unique blend of 35% Grenache Blanc, 29% Roussanne, 20% Marsanne, and 16% Picpoul Blanc. These grapes were sourced from two family owned vineyards in the Sonoma Valley. We grow our Grenache Blanc and Picpoul Blanc at Snow Vineyard. Grenache Blanc lends long length and balanced alcohol to the blend, along with rich notes of citrus and herbs. Picpoul Blanc brings bright acidity and tropical lushness to the wine. The Roussanne and Marsanne are grown at Landa Vineyard located in the shadows of the eastern foothills in the Sonoma Valley Appellation. In warmer climates, like that of the Sonoma Valley, Roussanne produces rich wines with a full body and flavors of honey and pear. The Marsanne provides complexity, rich hues and notes of pear and spice.
These grapes were hand harvested in the early morning and upon arrival to the winery were whole cluster pressed, gently releasing the juice from the berry. The resulting juice was then moved to barrel where native yeast carried out fermentation. The lees were stirred frequently for 10 weeks post fermentation, a process called batonnage, which increases the appealing textures of the wine. The resulting wine was aged for 11 months in French oak barrels, 28% of which were new oak barrels. 43% of the wine went through malolactic fermentation.
- TASTING NOTES
- Complex aromas of white peach and lemon peel emanate from this well balanced wine. Our medium-bodied Rhone inspired blend is laden with notes of green melon, floral nuances, citrus and subtle mineral notes. This blend is mouth-watering and bright.
- 35% Grenache Blanc, 29% Roussanne, 20% Marsanne, 16% Picpoul Blanc
- Sonoma Valley
- Landa Vineyard, Snow Vineyard
- Harvest Date
- 7.1 g/L
- Cases produced
THIS CORIOL BLEND IS INSPIRED BY THE WHITE WINES OF SOUTHERN FRANCE. OUR RHÔNESTYLE CORIOL WINES ARE NAMED AFTER THE CORIOLIS EFFECT, A LARGE SCALE PATTERN OF WIND MOVEMENTS CIRCLING THE EARTH. - JOHN SWEAZEY, PROPRIETOR
About the Winery
On tranquil summer days, as golden sun kisses the valleys and hills of vineyards in Sonoma, unique air currents bring cooling breezes inland from the Pacific Ocean and San Pablo Bay. Wafting softly, with some gusts and gales, they glide through the vineyard rows. As they encounter steeper slopes and drift upward, they become anabatic winds. Soaring glider pilots rely on them for flight. We treasure them for the coolness they impart on their journey — a gift of nature that makes the vineyard more temperate and slows the ripening process, producing robust flavors and distinctive varietal characters in our grapes.
Our exclusive Anaba wines are handcrafted from the best Rhône and Burgundian grape varieties grown at our Carneros Estate vineyard and in selected outstanding vineyard properties throughout Sonoma County. Our Rhône-style wines are artistic blends, inspired by the rugged earthiness of France’s Rhône Valley and replicated in the rocky Sonoma soils. Our Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs reflect the elegance and grace of the gently sloping vineyards found in Burgundy, crafted from similar sites in the Sonoma Coast and Carneros appellations.
Anaba…elegant, classic wines borne by the wind.
- John Sweazey Proprietor