2013 "Bent Press" Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
California: Napa Valley
Welcome to another Super Spy Sunday, where each Sunday we showcase a beautiful luxury wine - and offer it up to our Operatives at an extraordinary price. Today’s 94 point Napa Cabernet is 47% off.
We expect to sell out, so please do visit with us soon.
Today’s Freyja Cellars 2013 “Bent Press” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is an opulent, balanced wine that is at once earthy and juicy. The finish is ultra plush, and the wine has a really elegant overall feel.
Winemaker Petar Kirilov has become a Wine Spies favorite, and his experience shines through in today’s delicious wine.
Opulent aromas leap from the glass, with blackberry cordial, cherry preserve, spice box, black licorice, black currant, red currant, pencil shavings, dried cherry and summer forest.
Bold and dark on the palate, with juicy flavors of spice and earth. Blackberry juice, black cherry, dried cherry, baking spice, dried cranberry, graphite, twigs, bramble and black pepper.
Here’s what the wine press has to say:
94 points - The Sommelier Company - “This is a brooding, masculine, dark fruit-driven Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. The first impression shows equal parts complex fruit and truly majestic oak treatment: cedar, dry leather, tobacco, and dust. Time reveals distinct dark forest fruits—black currant, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry—underpinned by iron filings, dried herbs, violets, and black licorice.
After an hour, complexity continues to develop: the nose shows lavender, roasted chestnuts, fir needles and soft brown sugar. The palate shows gravelly volcanic minerals, dark chocolate and lively eucalyptus. Though immediately accessible, it takes about fifteen minutes of air for the wine’s flavors to settle solidly into integration. It opens and gradually gains complexity over several hours, but remains unchanged in its essential character. The tannins are abundant and suggest longer cellaring.”
- Appearance: Deep ruby-purple, slightly cloudy, extracted with no rim variation.
- Fruit and Floral: Black currant, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, violet, lavender.
- Spice, Herbal and Vegetal: Dried herbs, black licorice, fir needles, eucalyptus.
- Oak, Earth and Other: Cedar, leather, tobacco, dust, iron filings, chestnut, brown sugar, volcanic minerals, dark chocolate.
- Complexity: High; layers of diverse and intriguing aromas and flavors.
- Balance: Good; tannins are high at present but should integrate with age; medium acidity and medium alcohol are even and subordinated to flavor.
- Intensity: Highly expressive; big and powerful without being overblown.
- Character: High: shows distinct, unique and memorable personality.
- Typicity: Unique, but within grape varietal and regional typicity.
Vibrant crimson edges surround a dark garnet center.
Blackberry cordial, cherry preserve, spice box, black licorice, black currant, red currant, pencil shavings, dried cherry and summer forest.
Blackberry juice, black cherry, dried cherry, baking spice, dried cranberry, graphite, twigs, bramble and black pepper.
Super plush and very elegant, softly drying as medium tanins drive flavors to the far reaches of the palate. A lovely, plush dryness covers the palate eventually, spreading to the cheeks and lips.
Enjoy this extra elegant delight with your favorite beef dish, a plate of juicy ribs or a mound of meatballs over fresh pasta.
What the Winery Says
- Petar Kirilov
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Napa Valley
- 75 cases